Thursday, August 20, 2015

Interview with photographer Arina Vital

About you:
                Thank you, Talent Magazine for the opportunity to show my work on your blog, it's an honour.
I'm Arina Vital, I live in Salvador, a city in the northeastern Brazil. I think I can call myself a "self-portrait" photographer as that's what most of my work consists in.

              What is it that attracts you the most of what you have around you?  

               
              The fragility and stubbornness of everything. I see this latent quality here and there and it draws me in. 

       

            Describe some of your projects
          Right now I'm in a process of trying different types of cameras and film/expired film. I chase light like a moth and like to explore different textures in my surroundings. I want my photos to be skin-provocative. 

 
            Your main concept.
When I shoot I go for a mood which is vaguely clear in my mind. I don't have a defined concept, it's more like a trial-and-error thing.


               Tell us about your experience as  photographer what did it give you?
            
   It gave substance to my restlessness, made me tender-eyed and aware of my surroundings. Before photography I'd just get fed up with this whole bunch of thoughts and feelings that I didn't know how to work out. I'm really introverted and weird, photography became my warm place.


               Three adjectives to describe yourself.
                 Moody, outsider, child-hearted



A film, a book and a song
First ones to come to my mind are Ghost World (2001),  Bukowski's "Love is a dog from hell", "Ain't no sunshine", by Bill Withers.



What camera do you use?  lense? 

I'm now shooting mainly with film cameras: zenit E, Nikon FM2 and polaroid cameras. My older photographs were taken with a Canon 500D. As for lenses, I tend to stick with 50mm. I'm not really picky and I like cheap lenses for experimenting. 


             Tell about exhibition if you ‘ve had any.
          None so far. I'm keeping an eye open for the opportunity.


            Do you sell prints? How do you make it and where can someone buy?

         
 Yes, I just opened a little print shop: www.arinavital.tictail.com. I also sell prints via email: arinavital@hotmail.com 

            What was your most big success? 

         
 This notion of success is weird to me. This drive to keep going is bigger than punctual accomplishments.


           Favourite photographer.
  
     Oh... that's unfair. 

       What is your occupation, job, interest besides photography. describe it.
I'm currenty graduating in Architecture at the university. I also write short stories that I keep hidden under my bed.

           
           Which advice would you give someone who wants to become a (professional) photographer?
 be curious, corageous, learn to deal with being overwhelmed, keep your feet on the ground, love what you do. All those obvious things that we actually spend a lifetime trying to not lose sight of. 


          Do you work as photographer? 
Nope. I only eventually sell prints or images for commercial purposes. 

                                               
            Your plans.
Learn my way in the darkroom; move abroad.






























No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...