Friday, September 11, 2015

Interview with photographer Maya Beano

About you:
My name is Maya Beano and I'm 24. I have lived in a few places but I currently live in England.


What is it that attracts you the most of what you have around you? 
I can't get enough of nature... mountains in particular. They're not always around but I do go out of my way to get to them. I find them hauntingly majestic, especially on a misty day. 


Tell us about your experience as photographer what did it give you?
I started taking photos 8 years ago, and I eventually got into event photography. What first started out as a teenage hobby soon turned into something I increasingly made time for. I immersed myself in the vibrant culture that university offered and held small photography jobs to earn pocket money at music shows, dinner parties and conferences. I also covered theatre performances and contributed to university newspapers. My photography skills improved dramatically from these experiences, but I later realised that what I'm most curious about is pursuing photography as an art form. Although I still work at the occasional event, my main aim is to develop a portfolio of artwork


Tell us about the city where you live
I live in Cambridge, a charming little city with a lot to offer. 


Three adjectives to describe yourself.
Driven, introspective, dreamer


A film, a book and a song
The Mighty (I love this film's Celtic soundtrack), The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini, Breathturn by Hammock


What camera do you use? lenses?
I'm currently using an old Canon Prima Zoom Mini (and expired Lomography film) and a Canon 550D. My favourite lens is the 50mm f/1.8.


Tell about exhibition if you've had any.
I participated in a few local exhibitions and auctions last year with some fellow artists, and I hope to exhibit more of my work in the near future. 


Do you sell prints? How do you make it and where can someone buy?
Not yet. Soon! 



What was your most big success? 
Managing to keep my passion for photography alive in spite of my incredibly demanding academic schedule. 


Favourite photographer.
This is a very difficult question. I would say I'm most inspired by landscape photographers like Carmen Marchena and Ana Cabaleiro, but there are at least a dozen other photographers whose work I greatly admire. 


Describe some of your projects.
I went on several road trips this year and created a photo story of each, concentrating on portraying people in tune with nature. I visited Scotland, the Lake District, Cornwall, the Rose City of Petra, the Dead Sea, and the hauntingly beautiful Swiss Alps. 


Your main concept.
The vastness of nature, attunement to one's surroundings, small figures in wide landscapes.


What is your occupation, job, interest besides photography.
I am actually a research scientist. I took a year out to indulge my artistic side and completed most of my photo projects then.


Which advice would you give someone who wants to become a (professional) photographer?
I think aspiring photographers would benefit from exploring one theme at a time to achieve a sense of consistency in their work. With the advent of social media, the world of photography is ever-changing. It is difficult to remember all the photos you come across unless the artist's vision is well-defined or speaks to you in some way. 


Do you work as photographer? 
Occasionally


Your plans.
I am now going to be working in scientific research in oncology. I plan to spend most of my free time on new photography projects. Next destination: Iceland.

































No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...