Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Interview with photographer Silvia Conde




         About you:
My name is Silvia, I'm a 24-year-old art director from Barcelona currently living in the South of Germany.

               What is it that attracts you the most of what you have around you?  

I enjoy my everyday-life and the details it can have.

               Tell us about your experience as  photographer what did it give you?
Like for everyone else, photography is a way of expressing myself. I think it's also a way to capture what I've lived so far so I never forget it. 
                 Three adjectives to describe yourself.
Introverted, thoughtful and passionate.

                A film, a book and a song. 
"The Dreamers" by Bertolucci, "Kafka on the Shore" by Murakami and "Skinny Love" by Bon Iver.

             What camera do you use? Do you use one lense?
I enjoy collecting old cameras, but I don't use all of them. I normally shoot with the Olympus Trip 35 I inherited from my mum, a Yashica MG-1 or a Praktica TL 5B. I also have some Polaroids and a 1000d that needs to be replaced.

             Tell about exhibition if you ‘ve had any.
I'm actually having an exhibition that finishes this week. It has been during all March in Barcelona, in the gallery of a co-working space called MOB. It's about my series "Flohmärkte", the flea-markets in Berlin. I was living there for a year and I had the chance to photograph many of them. I wanted to capture the soul of the little treasures I found and tried to bring the people back to a past that is not longer existing. 
I have to say... Having an exhibition is an awesome experience and you can learn so much from it. 
          Do you sell prits? How do you make it and where can someone buy?
I sell prints on an Etsy shop. There I'm also selling the original photos from the exhibition and I'm planning to sell a fanzine called Soft Skin in a few days. 

          What was your most big success?
 
I suppose the exhibition has been a big thing. 

           Favourite photographer.
It's hard to choose one... Right now I'm totally in love with Théo Gosselin's work. It's spontaneous, alive and authentic. 

But if I really have to choose, I guess it would be another French one, Sophie Calle. I like how she's not only a photographer but also sometimes the main character of her own work. The language she uses and the kind of projects she has been doing during her career are exceptional. 

            Describe some of your projects
During the last year I've been experimenting quite a lot. I'm still defining my language and because of that I wanted to try as many options as possible. As a result, I developed several projects. There are three that I'm very excited about. 

"Morning Lights" is a Polaroid project I'm still working on. Morning light is something that I can not live without. Unfortunately, since I moved to Germany, I miss it. That's why I started to collect photographs of my room illuminated by the first rays of light. I'm using the Polaroid format because these moments are as instantaneous as this kind of photography. 

I'm also working on an Analog Diary, which is a Tumblr. I'm one of those who agree that everybody should have a diary. I'm sure many people will think that's childish. Even though, in my opinion it's a way of being able to look back and see what marked you. It's about memories, about the passage of time, about what you've lived. And that's actually what defines us. In my case, I started an analog diary. 

The last project I want to talk about is a fanzine called Soft Skin. On September 2011 I created a Flickr group called Soft Skin, a place for sensitive and pure skin photography. Since then, I've been curating the group choosing the photos that share the same kind of feelings. You can follow it on Tumblr andFacebook. The amazing good news are that in a few days, Issue #1 will be printed! I can't wait for it! 

            Your main concept.
In life, love, always. Otherwise, life doesn't make any sense. 

           What is your occupation, job, interest besides photography
I'm an art director. Apart from photographing, I design. You can visit my portfolio. On my free time, I enjoy writing on my personal blog, listening to music and watching movies.

            Your plans.
 I've just applied for a MA in Fine Arts in Hamburg for the next fall. I'm really looking forward to hear some news from them! 




































No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...