Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Interview with photographer Leanne Surfleet


About you:
I'm a photographer based in the UK, I've just graduated university and now looking to work and collaborate with new and exciting people. For the past 5 or so years I mainly concentrated on self-portraiture, but right after finishing university I felt the need to slow down and look more outward, which is what I've been experimenting with for the last few months.



What is it that attracts you the most of what you have around you?
What I have around me is actually quite boring and dull but I've somehow managed to find a way of incorporating this in to my photographs and use the nothingness to my advantage. It helps put across my feelings of loneliness and sometimes anxiety.  


Tell us about your experience as  photographer what did it give you?
My experience as a photographer is unlike anything else I have ever experienced. I'm only just starting to work with other people on photoshoots and thats something new and exciting. But, working alone photographing myself gave me a sense of calm that I really have needed this past year. I find taking photographs very organic and therapeutic, it just comes natural to me.


Three adjectives to describe yourself.
Quiet, peculiar & gentle.


A film, a book and a song
Ghost World, The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides, Queen Bitch by David Bowie.
 


What camera do you use?  lense?
I use a few different format cameras, I mainly use a Zenit E, Polaroid SX-70 Sonar and Pentacon Six TL. I'm not very fussy or knowledgeable about lenses, I usually just use the one that was originally with the camera unless I need something wider.


Tell about exhibition if you ‘ve had any.
I've never had a solo exhibition but I've exhibited in groups in Milan, London, Austin TX and most recently in Saint-Petersburg, Russia.


Do you sell prints? How do you make it and where can someone buy?
Yes I do, I sell editioned originals and prints at Saatchi Online - www.saatchionline.com/leannesurfleet and I sell little print packs on Etsy -www.etsy.com/shop/leannesurfleet 



What was your most big success?
I find the most successful things are when people are genuinely moved by my photographs. Every now and then I get emails from people expressing how they connect with my photographs emotionally and I find this very inspiring. 



Favourite photographer.
I have to say Francesca Woodman, she's one of the only photographers that upon seeing her work in a show has almost moved me to tears.


Describe some of your projects.
An ongoing project of mine is the exploration of the self. I also love to look at light and find beautiful light to capture. I'm working on a couple of film swap collaborations too.


 
Your main concept.
I feel unsure as to what my main concept is anymore, it used to be self-portraiture but I think in general it's just to capture the little natural and quiet moments within people (and myself) and their surroundings.


What is your occupation, job, interest besides photography.
Other than photography I work on a blog, No Culture Icons, as a Photography Editor along with a lovely young man, Liam Henry. I also love hanging out with my cat, I've had him since I was 9 years old (I'm now 26!) and I can't imagine life without him.


           
Which advice would you give someone who wants to become a (professional) photographer?
Be persistent in keeping in contact with people, always stay true to your own work and your own style, accept criticism, and above all else have fun with it!


Do you work as photographer?
Not officially, I sell prints and exhibit my works mainly. I'm currently working with a couple of different people getting experience in shooting fashion editorials, which will hopefully one day lead to me working as a photographer. 


                                               
Your plans.
To carry on taking photographs and to put my work out into the world even more than I have been doing these past few years.




















1 comment:

  1. Inspired! I love all of your images. The world is ready for your creativity! DASWEB.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...